2004 Mar 18 08:09

Re: [vox-tech] PDF editor?

on Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:12:03PM -0800, Norm Matloff (matloff@laura.cs.ucdavis.edu) wrote:

> Does anyone know of an open-source editor for PDF files?  All I want to
> do at present is insert Web links into a PDF file.

Norm, enjoyed your H1B pages for years...

PDF is _not_ an inherently editable format (though this is a good way to
get into a flamefest on some lists).  It's a publishing / presentation
format.

Your best bet is to find (or make) a source document and make your edits
there, then publish to PDF.

There are a number of tools which will let you work with files in PDF
format (an operation I consider distinct from "editing"), and you may be
able to overlay text from within these.  Of course, Dmitry Sklyarov
persecutor Adobe makes the canonical products, though there may well be
other tools.

Peace.

    The "intranet" is dead. The inside of your institutional firewall is
    just like the outside of your institutional firewall: it is all ablaze.
    - Joe St Sauver