2004 Mar 08 13:54

Re: [vox-tech] AC97 Sound Card

Might be some ESD or ARTS thing.  Just dont wanna hand-hold another person
go through a sound daemon problem... too many bad memories.  Someone wanna
tell Jennifer how to disable ESD/ARTS and test the hardware directly, and
if that turns out to fix the problem, then show her how to use the sound
daemon other than the one she's using (and get all her apps to switch to
using the other daemon)?

Crappy sound system... someone needs to make /dev/dsp into a virtual
device that lets multiple apps open it directly and mix sound internally.

-Mark

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:32:49AM -0600, Jennifer Thomas wrote:
> > i'm not even sure if the problem is the sound card, but when i play music
> > from any player or given any file to download or a link to the internet
> > that would require any sound, the sound sounds like the chipmunks are
> > speaking or singing and it's sped up.  what's going on?  i have an IBM
> > NetVista computer, it's pretty old.
>
> Perhaps applications are playing at a frequency that's higher than your
> card can handle???
>
> *shrug*   Just a wild guess.  I've never seen... err... heard anything like
> that.  I'm also pretty newbie when it comes to sound hardware & software.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -bill!
> PS - Might be good to disable HTML messages when posting, BTW!!!

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius
Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/
Xanga: http://www.xanga.com/vindaci