January 6: Social gathering
2004 Mar 08 00:18

Re: [vox-tech] Can't get RedHat Enterprise AS to Install

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 07:18:38PM -0800, Jim Lowman wrote:
> I suspect that the 9800 is the problem, since the archives show that
> usually the bleeding-edge graphics
> cards aren't supported by Linux.  Everything is fine in Win2000, but the

Er, bleeding edge video cards with propietary drivers are supported by
the vendor, not linux.  Did you try the ATI driver?  It's listes as support
the 9800 series and supports xfree86 4.1.0, 4.2.0, and 4.4.0

> Linux install barely gets off the
> ground before I get a black screen.
>
> Before the upgrades, I had RH9 installed and dual-booted with Win2000;
> then I had an nVIDIA GeForce2
> MX 200 video card which worked fine, but had no DVI-out for the new display.

The nvidia drivers have been pretty good at supporting the newest cards.

> I'm going to drop the old video card back in and give it a try.  Also I
> bought another graphics card that uses
> the nVIDIA 5200 - it even says that it supports Linux on the box.

Or just install without video and fix it after install.