2004 Mar 03 14:13

Re: [vox-tech] speech synthesis of a browser's window

Re: [vox-tech] speech synthesis of a browser's window

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:58:59PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
<snip>
> do you know, offhand, how to tell which voice file i'm using?
>
> any quick tips on improving quality?

Ooh, unfortunately, it's been a while since I played with festival.
(Flite -- festival lite -- on the Zaurus was extremely interesting to me
when I first discovered it.  I still vow to one day create an interface
to have it read highlighted text, or whatever page is being viewed in the
browser.)

Unfortunately, I don't know much about other speech synthesis
alternatives for Linux.  I'm sure there's something out there
(say, IBM's ViaVoice or something) that you could look into.
Probably would need to pay for it, though.

A quick search for "speech" on Freshmeat seems to come up with a bunch
of stuff...  (And remember, "apt-get.org" is your friend ;^) )

Good luck!

-bill!
(might play with this all again tomorrow ...  I like speech synth :) )