2004 Feb 29 23:44

Re: [vox-tech] Very slow TCP transfer over loopback

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 08:56:42PM -0500, Mike Simons wrote:

> pps: if you move the RCVBUF setting to change the "accept_sock"
>      instead of the "file", then the problem goes away regardless
>      of what size.

Hmm, I didn't think it was possible to change the RCVBUF and SNDBUF
settings after you had already accepted the connection.  I just checked
the tcp(7) manpage, and it contains the following:

    "On individual connections, the socket buffer size must be set prior
    to the listen() or connect() calls in order to  have  it take
    effect."

So I think you want to move the RCVBUF setting up to where you set the
REUSEADDR option.  Unfortunately I'm not sure why this would cause the
delays you're experiencing; that sounds almost like something to do with
the Nagle Algorithm (although that's a sending issue, not a receiving
issue).

Matt