2004 Feb 29 18:34

[vox-tech] Can't get RedHat Enterprise AS to Install

[vox-tech] Can't get RedHat Enterprise AS to Install

I've been attempting to install RH AS 3 on my Dell 8200 after having done some significant upgrades:

-- RAM from 256 MB to 640 MB
-- installed a Sony DRU-510A DVD burner
-- installed an Audigy sound card, vs. using motherboard-supplied audio
-- upgraded from a Dell 1702FP to a Samsung 191T+ flat-panel display
-- installed an ATI Radeon 9800 XT Pro video card

I suspect that the 9800 is the problem, since the archives show that usually the bleeding-edge graphics
cards aren't supported by Linux. Everything is fine in Win2000, but the Linux install barely gets off the
ground before I get a black screen.

Before the upgrades, I had RH9 installed and dual-booted with Win2000; then I had an nVIDIA GeForce2
MX 200 video card which worked fine, but had no DVI-out for the new display.

I'm going to drop the old video card back in and give it a try. Also I bought another graphics card that uses
the nVIDIA 5200 - it even says that it supports Linux on the box.

Any idea how long it takes before video cards like the 9800 XT Pro get supported? I bought that for the
"dream machine" that I'm building.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...Jim