2004 Feb 26 20:42

[vox-tech] Move / from one HD to another

[vox-tech] Move / from one HD to another

I have two HDs in my main box.  One is an older ~12GB drive, which
is the master on my IDE chain, and acts as my root ('/') partition.

The other is a much newer, much larger drive (~120GB), which contains
my '/home' and '/usr/local' paritions.

The older drive sounds like its death is imminent.  (Quite a noise it's
making since I just rebooted... I shut everyone down during the windy,
potential power-outage hours the other night.  Reminds me, time to replace
my UPS battery :^) )

Anyway, since I have copious amounts of space on my 2nd drive, is it
easy to just 'move' the '/' parition over, run LILO to make the newer
drive bootable, and then remove the dying drive?  (Obviously setting
the 2nd drive as "Master" now, since it's currently "Slave")

Or should I go about this another way?

Thx in advance!