2004 Feb 26 14:42

Re: [vox-tech] Binary problems

Doctorcam wrote:
* Jeff Newmiller (jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us) wrote:
<snip>

The behavior of the first token on a bash commandline is different than
its behavior when provided as the argument to an instance of bash... bash
interprets the _argument_ as a normal path to a script file... which
amounts to allowing invocation of shell scripts in the current directory. When provided as the first token on a commandline, bash is more cautious
if no slashes are present.

So, just so I understand the reasoning, instead of my blind rote
fumbling, do I understand correctly that the function of the ./ is
merely to identify the directory?  Is there more to this than that?  I
had the assumption that its function was to identify the following
item as an executable.

Cheers

Cam

The ./ just specifies the directory. Whether it is executable depends on the file itself and its permissions (someone can add to this).

Here is a good exercise for shell beginners, like me :)

$ cat hello
#!/bin/sh

echo "hello world"

$ ll hello
-rw-r--r-- 1 jjstickel users 32 Feb 26 13:55 hello
$ ./hello
bash: ./hello: Permission denied
$ chmod +x hello
$ ./hello