2004 Feb 23 03:25

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Syncing Palm Pilot

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Syncing Palm Pilot

Rob Rogers wrote:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 13:56:48PM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Moving to vox-tech; sorry about the momentary cross-post on vox (didn't see it started there until after I sent my response)

Oops. I meant to post to vox-tech. :)

Jonathan Stickel wrote:

I'm no expert, but I've struggled a little myself getting my Handspring to sync. It sure looks like all your kernel modules are loading properly, the important ones being usbserial and visor.

Have you checked to see if a "usb-serial" device "magically" appears in /dev when you push the cradle button? It will be something like /dev/usb/tts/1 or /dev/usbts1. This is what you tell your palm software to use (perhaps through a /dev/pilot symlink).

FWIW: I had a 2.4 kernel where my Handspring would randomly sync only 50% of time, and I could never figure out why. All my kernal modules loaded, the usbserial device appeared, I had OK log messages, but no sync. Since I've compiled a 2.6 kernel, it syncs everytime!

I used to have issues with my Handspring, but my Palm has always worked
flawlessly. I thought the /dev/usb/tts/1 was only for devfs, which I am
not using. I've always used /dev/ttyUSB0, which always exists. Will /dev
entries automatically appear if I am not using devfs?
I really don't know the answer to this, since I am totally ignorant about devfs. I seem to recall using /dev/ttyUSB1 when I was using RedHat (now I use gentoo). For me, both /dev/usb/tts/0 and /dev/usb/tts/1 appear when I sync, and I know I'm supposed to use #1. Do you have a /dev/ttyUSB1? Perhaps you can try using it instead of ttyUSB0.

Jonathan