2004 Feb 18 11:14

Re: [vox-tech] help

(Note: This was in vox-tech's queue, since Jungmee didn't seem to be
subscribed to the list when posting this; still might not be.  So I'm Cc'ing)

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:29:16PM -0800, Jungmee Kim wrote:

> My hard drive has been partitioned at the Installfest, and it now has
> Window XP and Fedora Core 1.
>
> My issues are,
>
> 1)  From the Linux OS, I cannot excess the internet.

I wasn't at the IF, so I don't know the details of your setup.
Are you trying to access via dialup (modem) or DSL?

Directly on DSL, or on a LAN (e.g., DSL modem -> Router -> multiple computers)

> 2)  so, I cannot use "PINE"  I need PINE to send my files electronically
> to my email account, so I can do work at school and home (because I don't
> have a printer).

Can we assume Pine /works/?  It just can't send messages onto the Internet
because of problem #1?  Or is there anything else wrong with it? ;^)

> 3)  My 'touch pad' doesn't work under Linux.

Is this a touchpad, like the 'mouse' interface on some laptops?
Or more like a tablet that you use a stylus on (e.g., a Wacom pad?)

I'd be surprised if it's your mouse, as that would be a pretty hard
thing to miss at an IF, unless time was running out and you had to pack
up with whatever was done, without testing. :^)

Or, I guess maybe you could have had an external mouse (or maybe you have
a laptop that has BOTH a little nubby mouse control thing, AND a touchpad...
I've seen those recelt.y)

> To solve issue #2, I decided to buy an external A drive, but I don't
> think it will work on Linux in the current situation.

Ah, yes, sounding more like a laptop. :^)  I'm not sure how external laptop
drives are handled (under Linux _or_ Windows). :^(

Is it possible to get your files onto your Windows paritition, and then
use Windows to upload them once they're there?  (Unfortunately, I don't
think Windows can read Linux partitions... however, Linux can read and
write Windows parititions, although I've heard lots of dire warnings about
writing to NTFS, which I guess might be used on WinNT, Win2K and WinXP..right?)

That could be an interim solution, until you can get network and/or the
external floppy drive working.

Good luck!