2004 Feb 17 13:29

Re: [vox-tech] FSTAB Questions

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:52:24AM -0800, David Hummel wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:40:19AM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > In addition to everyone else's wonderful suggestions, I also always
> > mount vfat drives with the showexec option, which turns off the exec
> > bit for files that aren't .exe files, but leaves it on for
> > directories. You can't do that with umask.
>
> Good option.  "user" and "users" implies "noexec" though.

Just note that noexec and showexec are different. noexec will prevent
you from running an application but it won't change the permissions
actually listed for the file. showexec will do the opposite -
because you can always chmod a program (even on vfat linux will
remember until you unmount), if you use showexec without noexec, then
you can chmod +x a script and run it, it just doesn't appear
executable by default.