January 6: Social gathering
2004 Feb 17 13:29

Re: [vox-tech] FSTAB Questions

> It seems to me there should be a better way to do this.  Perhaps use the
> "noauto,owner,rw" options like a cdrom so that the partition belongs to
> the mounting user.  But the user then has to mount it manually at some
> point.  I haven't tried this yet myself.

Unfortunately, that's not what the "owner" option means.  The "owner" is a
little like the "user" option.  "user" allows normal users to mount/umount
that filesystem, whereas "owner" allows normal users to mount that filesystem
as long as they own the block special device that the filesystem resides on
(i.e. /dev/fd0a).  Some OS's chown the floppy/cdrom to the person logged in
on the console, so that allows only the person logged in on the console to
mount and umount those filesystems.  That makes sense for removeable media,
but /dev/hda1 probably isn't removable, and isn't chowned to the console
user.

Unless you chown /dev/hda1 to yourself, using "noauto,owner,rw" wouldn't
allow you to mount the dos/fat filesystem.  What you probably want is
"noauto,user,rw", then the user can manually mount the filesystem, and
I *think* then that user will have ownership, rather than root, but I
could be wrong.  The downside is that you need to explicitly mount the
filesystem when you want to use it and umount it when you're done.

  -- Mitch