January 6: Social gathering
2004 Feb 16 12:45

Re: [vox-tech] Cygwin and Debian

You can fix this several ways.  For simplicity sake, you probably wanna
set your terminal type to ansi if it's "cygwin" from .bashrc in your
debian box:

  if [ "$TERM" = "xcygwin" ]
  then
    export TERM=ansi
  fi

Assuming, of course, you're using Bash.

Other alternatives: The proper thing to do is add the cygwin termcap into
your box, but that's just messy 'cuz you gotta look for the info on your
cygwin box and add it to your Debian box.  You could also set the terminal
from your cygwin box's bashrc but that might (but probably not) break some
terminal characteristics on your cygwin box.

-Mark

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Richard Crawford wrote:

> Whenever I ssh into my Debian box, Lucien, with Cygwin from a Windows
> computer and try to execute Vi or top or similar tools, I get an error
> like the following:
>
> Unknown terminal "cygwin" in $TERM
>
> Naturally, this doesn't happen when I SSH into my Red Hat computers.
>
> How do I fix this issue so that I ssh successfully into my Debian
> computer?  I'd rather not have to put PuTTY onto my Windows computer,
> just because I'd rather not have redundant terminal programs (if that
> makes sense).
>
> --
> Slainte,
> Richard S. Crawford
> AIM: Buffalo2K / Y!: rscrawford / ICQ: 11640404
> Howard Dean for America: http://www.deanforamerica.com
> http://www.mossroot.com http://www.stonegoose.com
> "It is only with our heart that we can see clearly.  What is essential
> is invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupery

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius
Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/
Xanga: http://www.xanga.com/vindaci