2004 Feb 15 19:03

Re: [vox-tech] core files

On Sun 15 Feb 04,  5:53 PM, mrp <mrp@sonic.net> said:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 05:38:47PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > I've noticed some core files have a number appended to them, like:
> >
> >    core.2342
> >
> > The number is most likely a pid, but I'm curious how the core file got
> > named this way.  Is there a libc function that sets the name of a
> > possible future core file?
>
> I think it's probably a function of the default signal handler for
> the SIGABORT signal.

i've used abort() tonight in one of my programs and it just gave a file
named "core".

> I don't know why it would use "core" sometimes and
> "core.<pid>" other times.. maybe if there is already a core file it uses
> the second form instead to avoid overwriting an existing core file.

can't be this.  i've had MANY core files written in my life.  ;-)  core
files are just overwritten, not renamed (permission granting).

i've noticed that whenever opera dumps core, the corefile always has the
number in its name.  that's kind of why i figured it might be a libc
thing that you can control.

> You might also want to look at the setrlimit(2) man page.

i'll look into it.  thanks!

pete