2004 Feb 15 15:28

Re: [vox-tech] Viruses coming from UC Davis.....

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 09:15:00AM -0800, Gabriel Rosa wrote:

> With such a short username, it's entirely possible that someone just guessed
> your username at sonic.

I've been getting a lot of virus bounces thanks to someone named
"brenda@newbreedsoftware.com".  That's my domain.  There's no such user.

So yeah, could be a dictionary attack.

Also, I'm not sure with the current viruses, but a lot of them look at more
than just Outlook addressbooks.  They also check browser caches and stuff
for e-mail addresses to both send-to, and to forge-from...  :^(

So, while it COULD be someone from UCD who's on 'vox' and has an infected
Win32 box, it also COULD be someone from UCD who browsed a webpage with
your email address on it.  :^(

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com           "Hey Shatner, ya remember that episode of
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/   Space Trek where your show got cancelled?"