2004 Feb 11 10:20

Re: [vox-tech] Viruses coming from UC Davis.....

Re: [vox-tech] Viruses coming from UC Davis.....

On Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004, at 09:15 US/Pacific, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
I wouldn't say that's the only way you could be getting targeted. My mail
server at home has been getting dictionaried lately.

With such a short username, it's entirely possible that someone just guessed
your username at sonic.
While I've heard of spammers trying dictionary attacks, I've never heard of viruses using it.

Also, it's unlikely that they would get my initials (mrp) from a dictionary attack, and trying all ~17000 3 letter combinations seems a low yield method, considering so many better techniques exist, and it's even MORE unlikely that they'd hit that twice within 24 hours from he same machine.

However, MANY current viruses (including mydoom.{a,b,c}, which is what I suspect these were) use address books and return addresses from recently received messages, which seems a much more "profitable" method from a virus writers perspective. I'm hoping that somebody AT UC Davis who recognizes the IP will track down the machine and patch it.

-- Mitch