2004 Feb 10 16:58

Re: [vox-tech] web access of openoffice documents

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 04:22:11PM -0800, David Hummel wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:58:38PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > i'm teaching a few classes and keep my scores/averages in gnumeric
> > spreadsheet (which i can convert to openoffice of course).  i want to
> > have some kind of site where my students can log in using their SSN
> > and perhaps a password and be able to look at how they're doing.
>
> Gnumeric files are gzipped XML documents (and Calc files are zipped ones
> I believe).  You could have a Perl CGI that decompresses the file,
> parses it with XML::Parser, locates the student-specific data, and
> presents it on the web page.

Good suggestion. I'd just like to add that XML::Simple is probably the
way to go here. I've used it in a couple quick projects before, and it's
far easier (IMHO) to work with than any other XML parser.

From the perldoc:

use XML::Simple;
my $ref = XMLin([<xml file or string>] [, <options>]);

Presto, $ref is the root of a tree containing all the XML data in the
file.

--
Samuel Merritt
OpenPGP key: http://meat.andcheese.org/~spam/spam_at_andcheese_dot_org.asc