January 6: Social gathering
2004 Feb 10 11:33

Re: [vox-tech] Perl help requested

Peter Jay Salzman said:
> On Tue 10 Feb 04,  9:56 AM, Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
> said:
>> I'm trying to write a Perl application that will go through a
>> directory and give the amount of space used by each directory,
>> including each subdirectory.  So, for example, if myDirectory1 has
>> three files totalling 150K and two subdirectories (mySubDirectoryA,
>> with 20K of files, and mySubDirectoryB with 50K of files), I'd like to
>> see output like this:
>>
>> DIRECTORY         SIZE
>> ======================
>> myDirectory1      220K
>>
>> I'm stuck at the first line. Any suggestions?
>
> is this a programming exercise or do you just want something to give you
> the numbers?

A programming exercise.  It's something we'll be going back to again and
again.  I'm having trouble installing the FileSys modules, which is making
all of this unnecessarily difficult.

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the
desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man.
I wouldn't mess with them."
--Michael Moore