2004 Feb 05 11:39

Re: [vox-tech] I got 2.6 working!

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:46:19PM -0800, Ted Deppner wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 12:15:02PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > 2) Incremental Rebuilts (in Debian)
> > I figured out how to do this, and I do it by removing most of the
> > process from make-kpkg's control.
> > in /etc/kernel-pkg.conf, I have the line
> > do_clean :=no
>
> do_clean isn't honored because the debian/rules file overrides it.
> Second, the rules file actually references a stock version of itself in
> /usr/lib (I think) that again overrides the setting.

Is this a rule that applies to woody (I noticed your comment further
down)? I use sid, and it seems to work for me. (It didn't try to clean
up after it finished compiling)

> If you edit the debian/rules file to use itself instead of the lib
> version, the local do_clean setting will be honored.  I monkeyed with
> this for quite a bit the first time through.
>
> > make-kpkg --append-to-version=-1ken --revision=1 make_kpkg
> > I don't know how well this works for upgrades between versions (like
> > upgrading from 2.6.1 to 2.6.2) or how well it works if you change the
> > EXTRAVERSION, but this is a good start.
>
> Can't jump kernel versions without editing a few files in debian/ (it'll
> complain on build), don't recall precisely which, but it was only a few.
> It's usually easier just to start from scratch, rerun make-kpkg, copy in
> your .config and make oldconfig.
>
> Remember the kernel version is part of the package name, so 2.6.1 is one
> package, and 2.6.2 is a totally different package.  Both can be
> installed simultaneously.  (same with your --append-to-version names).
>
> > make-kpkg isn't smart enough to do an incremental build by itself, it
> > appears.
>
> It is, but not out of the box in Woody.

On sid, I was getting errors about version numbers in various places.
Do I perhaps need to edit the version number in all of the files in
debian/ to make it work?