2004 Feb 05 09:14

Re: [vox-tech] I got 2.6 working!

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 12:15:02PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> 2) Incremental Rebuilts (in Debian)
> I figured out how to do this, and I do it by removing most of the
> process from make-kpkg's control.
> in /etc/kernel-pkg.conf, I have the line
> do_clean :=no

do_clean isn't honored because the debian/rules file overrides it.
Second, the rules file actually references a stock version of itself in
/usr/lib (I think) that again overrides the setting.

If you edit the debian/rules file to use itself instead of the lib
version, the local do_clean setting will be honored.  I monkeyed with
this for quite a bit the first time through.

> make-kpkg --append-to-version=-1ken --revision=1 make_kpkg
> I don't know how well this works for upgrades between versions (like
> upgrading from 2.6.1 to 2.6.2) or how well it works if you change the
> EXTRAVERSION, but this is a good start.

Can't jump kernel versions without editing a few files in debian/ (it'll
complain on build), don't recall precisely which, but it was only a few.
It's usually easier just to start from scratch, rerun make-kpkg, copy in
your .config and make oldconfig.

Remember the kernel version is part of the package name, so 2.6.1 is one
package, and 2.6.2 is a totally different package.  Both can be
installed simultaneously.  (same with your --append-to-version names).

> make-kpkg isn't smart enough to do an incremental build by itself, it
> appears.

It is, but not out of the box in Woody.

--
Ted Deppner