January 6: Social gathering
2004 Feb 05 09:14

Re: [vox-tech] I got 2.6 working!

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 12:24:03PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> snip (i don't use debian's kernel compiling.  maybe i should...)

It's cool.  You can actually take it up a level and have it build
multiple kernel compiles, different architectures, patchs, and
configurations for each build.  Kinda complex if you don't do it
everyday, but the power is there.

At the simplest, a "make-kpkg --version=Custom1.00 kernel-image" is
sufficient to get a kernel compiled as a package.  Add --initrd if you
need it, and note that 2.4 kernels stock kernels didn't include CRAMFS
as an initrd option, which debian expects.  This is overrideable easily
to use ext2fs (I've script if anyone cares).

> 2. did you not use "make oldconfig"?  i find it VERY useful when
>    building new kernels.

This is noted in the faqs... so much has changed in the configs that a
make oldconfig in 2.6 from a 2.4 kernel will certainly wind up not
working.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/