2004 Feb 04 21:39

Re: [vox-tech] I got 2.6 working!

On 2004.02.04 12:24, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
hi ken,

On Wed 04 Feb 04, 12:15 PM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:
> Becuase I was discussing it with people at the meeting last night, I'm > sending out my status on the 2.6 kernel, maybe peopel can learn from > it.
cool beans!

> I had 2 major questions:
> 1) Why the vesa framebuffer wasn't working in 2.6.0

because many patches / driver fixes weren't merged with 2.6.0. this was
a known problem that got fixed.

> 2) If I have to recompile several times, making small configuraiton > changes, how do I save time by using the binaries that I built last > time that haven't changed?
why was this necessary?

snip (i don't use debian's kernel compiling. maybe i should...)

> > 3) Another lesson learned
> =========================
> Make sure you have IDE disk support enabled, otherwise you'll get a > kernel panic that you can't mount the root drive.
1. hmmm. that's wierd. for me, 2.6.0 has CONFIG_IDE already set to
"y". was it set differently for you?

i recall that a kernel shipped with ext2 turned off by default, but
that was ... years ago.

2. did you not use "make oldconfig"? i find it VERY useful when
building new kernels.

pete
I started out with no config at all (on my very first run to compile 2.6.0), and got it working and bootable except for the vesa framebuffer. I did a make oldconfig from my 2.6.0 kernel, but when moving to 2.6.2, I realized since I was compiling from scratch anyway, I ought to do away with the need for an initrd. When I was doing this, I forgot about the IDE disk support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK) which had been a module in 2.6.0 and was loaded off the ramdisk. So I had to change some configuration options and recompile. Figuring out how to rebuild only those things that had changed shortened the process for the second attempt from 45 minutes to less than 5 minutes. (And had I not figured out that I had to change *that particular option* the second time around, I might have needed to recompile a few more times).

In short - I don't compile kernels the debian way, but once I compile them, I package them the Debian way.

--Ken

My key was last signed 10/14/2003. If you use GPG *please* see me about signing the key. ***** My computer can't give you viruses by email. ***