2004 Feb 05 09:14

Re: [vox-tech] I got 2.6 working!

hi ken,

On Wed 04 Feb 04, 12:15 PM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:
> Becuase I was discussing it with people at the meeting last night, I'm
> sending out my status on the 2.6 kernel, maybe peopel can learn from
> it.

cool beans!

> I had 2 major questions:
> 1) Why the vesa framebuffer wasn't working in 2.6.0

because many patches / driver fixes weren't merged with 2.6.0.  this was
a known problem that got fixed.

> 2) If I have to recompile several times, making small configuraiton
> changes, how do I save time by using the binaries that I built last
> time that haven't changed?

why was this necessary?

snip (i don't use debian's kernel compiling.  maybe i should...)

> 3) Another lesson learned
> Make sure you have IDE disk support enabled, otherwise you'll get a
> kernel panic that you can't mount the root drive.

1. hmmm.  that's wierd.  for me, 2.6.0 has CONFIG_IDE already set to
   "y".  was it set differently for you?

   i recall that a kernel shipped with ext2 turned off by default, but
   that was ... years ago.

2. did you not use "make oldconfig"?  i find it VERY useful when
   building new kernels.

pete