2004 Feb 04 21:47

[vox-tech] I got 2.6 working!

Becuase I was discussing it with people at the meeting last night, I'm sending out my status on the 2.6 kernel, maybe peopel can learn from it.

I had 2 major questions:
1) Why the vesa framebuffer wasn't working in 2.6.0
2) If I have to recompile several times, making small configuraiton changes, how do I save time by using the binaries that I built last time that haven't changed?

1) Why the vesa framebuffer wasn't working in 2.6.0
Ok, I'll cheat. I don't know why it wasn't working, but it works now in my 2.6.2 configuration. Perhaps it's that I'm using 2.6.2 and a bug got fixed, or perhaps that I decided not to compile in aty128fb (the framebuffer driver for my ATI card) - I leave it as a module.

2) Incremental Rebuilts (in Debian)
I figured out how to do this, and I do it by removing most of the process from make-kpkg's control.

The first time I compile the kernel, I use make-kpkg for everything. (This way I can be sure to generate the correct debian/directory)
in /etc/kernel-pkg.conf, I have the line
do_clean :=no
which prevents make-kpkg from cleaining up the kernel directory when it finishes - sure it takes disk space, but I can clean it all up when I'm done.

make EXTRAVERSION=-1ken menuconfig
make EXTRAVERSION=-1ken bzImage
#edit debian/changelog to have correct version number in top entry
make-kpkg --append-to-version=-1ken --revision=1 make_kpkg

I don't know how well this works for upgrades between versions (like upgrading from 2.6.1 to 2.6.2) or how well it works if you change the EXTRAVERSION, but this is a good start.

make-kpkg isn't smart enough to do an incremental build by itself, it appears.

3) Another lesson learned
Make sure you have IDE disk support enabled, otherwise you'll get a kernel panic that you can't mount the root drive.

My key was last signed 10/14/2003. If you use GPG *please* see me about signing the key. ***** My computer can't give you viruses by email. ***