2004 Feb 03 08:21

Re: USB and serial (was Re: [vox-tech] lbncurses.so.4 issue)

Re: USB and serial (was Re: [vox-tech] lbncurses.so.4 issue)

--On Tuesday, February 03, 2004 06:23:43 AM -0800 "Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

Assuming the software wants to talk to a serial port, and the device
only has a USB port, is there a way to make them talk to each other?
If the kernel supports this UPS, then when the UPS is plugged into a USB port, the kernel should create some devices for software to interact with it. If the UPS requires a serial-port device then I'd expect the kernel to create a serial port for it.

What does the kernel do when you plug the UPS into a USB port?

--
Ken Herron