2004 Feb 02 22:27

Re: [vox-tech] lbncurses.so.4 issue

On Mon 02 Feb 04, 10:11 PM, Richard S. Crawford said:
> My wife just picked up for us a Belkin UPS device: a "Regulator Pro Gold
> Series", which looks pretty spiffy.  I hooked it up and attached my RH8
> server to it, and now I'm trying to get the ups daemon installed.
>
> Unfortunately, whenever I try to start up the daemon, I get this error:
>
> "Error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.4: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory"
>
> ...which doesn't surprise me, since the software was tested against no
> later version of RH than 6.2.
>
> My question is, is there a way to get it to talk to RH8?  I tried
> opening the "upsd" script, but it's a binary file and I can't look at
> the source code.  And while Belkin says it's compatible with Linux,
> there is no documentation on their website, and the documentation on the
> CD is lousy.

you need to install ncurses 4 (the current version is 5).  on debian,
it's simple:

   apt-get install libncurses4

and you're done.  debian allows you to have both versions 4 and 5
concurrently, but debian is pretty good about things like that.  for
redhat, you'll have to hunt down the ncurses 4 rpm.  to see what
versions of ncurses you presently have installed, do:

   rpm -qa | grep ncurses

i seem to recall rpmfind.net was a good resource.

you might want to read:

   http://www.dirac.org/linux/libraries.html

to learn a bit about libraries.  i wrote this when i was a real newbie.
i refer to ncurses 4 as being "new".   :)

pete