2004 Feb 02 23:13

Re: [vox-tech] building an AMD MP system

On Sun 01 Feb 04,  9:28 PM, Daniel Hurt <dwhurt@ucdavis.edu> said:
> Pete,
>
> I have had some problems with the Asus board:
>
> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7m266-d/overview.htm
>
> I purchased one without the one board SCSI.  It proceeded to destroy two
> different IDE drives, and then could not get a SCSI controller working.   I
> ended up getting one with an integrated SCSI controller and it ran Red Hat
> 7.0 reasonably well.  For some reason it was always abit quirky.  I never
> got all the bugs out.  One note, it needs registered RAM to run.
>
> Dan

hi dan,

thanks for the info.  that's too bad -- asus has always put out good
stuff.

it destroyed two IDE drives?!?  how did it do that?

i've been thinking of the tyan S2466-4M, which seems to be popular with
the athlon MP crowd.

> (Sorry I am not more descriptive, but I am working with one hand, the other
> is in a cast.  If you would like more description, let me know.)

i can imagine: every motorcyclist will go down at least once.  our wish
is that when it does happen, it's not too bad.

but the real important question is: how's the bike?!?    ;)

email me offlist if you get the chance.  i think you guys are
mid-quarter, so it must be a busy time for you.

pete