2004 Feb 02 05:35

Re: [vox-tech] postscript printer: light goes on, nobody home.

Re: [vox-tech] postscript printer: light goes on, nobody home.

That happens to me, too, sometimes, with LaserJet 1100.  But I can eject
the page by depressing the button on the printer (it only has one button)
once.  My HP Deskjet sometimes did that, too, and I could eject the page
by pressing one of the buttons... not sure which one... maybe either one
(it has two.)

What printer configuration tool (if any) do you use?  Generally there's an
option to send force-eject the last page after it's printed.  It may print
an extra blank page sometimes, but it's worth testing.  Alternatively, you
can write a program that sends a formfeed character to the printer, and
run that program when the printer gets stuck.  Printing another page (of
anything) after the printer getting stuck might help, too.

Good luck!

-Mark

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i have an HP laserjet 6MP.  it works great on linux.  it's shared with
> other linux and windows systems.  no problems.
>
> well, almost no problems.
>
> every blue moon, i'll queue something with lpr, and the printer LEDs
> will flash like they normally do to indicate "i'm receiving data".
>
> but after the data gets trasfered to the printer, the "data LED" and
> "ready LED" will remain on.  my printer manual says this state is
> called:
>
>     "data is in the printer memory (form feed)"
>
> and says to press the "go button" to start printing.  i hit the "go
> button", but nothing prints.
>
> eventually, the data LED goes out indicating the printer is in the
> "ready for printing" state.  the job is gone.
>
> it's like the printer receives data but just gives up on printing it.
> this happens on all the operating systems in the house: debian, suse,
> redhat, win2k and win98.
>
> has anybody seen this happen before?  any guesses as to what causes it?
>
> the only thing i can think of is perhaps a flaw in the postscript or
> perhaps the printer's postscript interpreter.
>
> it'll happen to me once every 2 weeks - 1 month, so it's pretty
> infrequent. i can get around it by "printing" whatever i want to an
> bitmap file, and using gimp to print the file.  but that's kind of a
> rotten way to do things, and the quality stinks compared to nice raster
> postscript.
>
> pete
>
> --
> Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler.  -- Albert Einstein

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius
Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/
Xanga: http://www.xanga.com/vindaci