2004 Feb 01 14:40

Re: [vox-tech] postscript printer: light goes on, nobody home.

Re: [vox-tech] postscript printer: light goes on, nobody home.

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
hi all,

i have an HP laserjet 6MP.  it works great on linux.  it's shared with
other linux and windows systems.  no problems.

well, almost no problems.

every blue moon, i'll queue something with lpr, and the printer LEDs
will flash like they normally do to indicate "i'm receiving data".

but after the data gets trasfered to the printer, the "data LED" and
"ready LED" will remain on.  my printer manual says this state is
called:

    "data is in the printer memory (form feed)"

and says to press the "go button" to start printing.  i hit the "go
button", but nothing prints.

eventually, the data LED goes out indicating the printer is in the
"ready for printing" state.  the job is gone.

it's like the printer receives data but just gives up on printing it.
this happens on all the operating systems in the house: debian, suse,
redhat, win2k and win98.

has anybody seen this happen before?  any guesses as to what causes it?
This sounds very similar to something I've experienced with an HP 4050, a networked double-sided laserjet in my department's computer lab. It will hang with the "data" led flashing. Since other people use it, I can't wait around so I cancel the job. It seems to happen mostly with journal article pdfs with 3D graphics. Strangely, I can print them just fine to a HP 4100 laserjet (single-sided).

the only thing i can think of is perhaps a flaw in the postscript or
perhaps the printer's postscript interpreter.
Yep, that's my guess to. Not sure how to fix it. Next time I might try bitmapping just the pages with the 3d grahpics to confirm my hypothesis.

Jonathan