2004 Jan 31 22:07

Re: [vox-tech] Can YAST create a FAT32 Partition?

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> Thanks to those of you who told me I need a new hard drive.
>
> I'd like to create a dual boot system on the new hard disk (which I haven't
> purchased yet).  I'd like to do all of the partitioning from YAST.  According
> to the YAST documentation YAST can delete FAT32 partitions.  YAST can resize
> FAT32 partitions.  But the documentation doesn't say whether YAST can create
> a FAT32 partition.  The documentation assumes that one is partitioning to add
> Linux to a hard drive where Windows already exists.
>
> Does anybody know if YAST can create a FAT32 partition?

I don't know if it can, but in general, this is not really a good idea.

a) Even if it can, if you plan to make a dual boot you are better off
having the OS that will use the os format the partition it will run in.

b) Windows tends to demolish existing partitions.  "Pro" versions are
starting to provide options for installing in arbitrary partitions, but
"home" versions are still pretty ruthless.  This means installing Windows
first is almost always the best approach.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing