January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jan 29 17:12

Re: [vox-tech] Toil! But success

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net):

> Man, I just had fun(tm) getting this new box I bought from Mark
> Breitung working. :^)  It's got a rather old network card, which
> happens to have three connectors on it (10BaseT, the RJ45 style we're
> all used to these days, as well as BNC and something that looks kinda
> like a joystick or MIDI port.. AUI, I think it's called?)  It's a 3COM
> Etherlink III '3c509(b)' card.
>
> It seemed the EEPROM was set to make the thing always try and use the
> BNC connector, so I was never able to get onto my network.

I used to really love those old cards, and still have a big pile of them.
They're still quite useful, especially on cards that will be mostly
talking to the Internet.  (E.g., your mail server has a 1.54 Mbps T-1
line to itself?  Cool.  But why does it need a NIC faster than 10 Mbps?)

So, I maintain a bunch of the administrative tools for both Linux (C and
ELF) and MS-DOS.  The DOS ones I extracted from the relevant 3Com
Etherdisk image.

http://linuxmafia.com/pub/hardware/

The DOS one will verify that your settings of IRQ and IO base address
don't conflict with anything else.  Handy.  Usually, IRQ 10 and I/O base
address 300h are ideal, though.  Among other things, autoprobing
software seems most likely to look for them there.

--
Cheers,             We write precisely            We say exactly
Rick Moen           Since such is our habit in    How to do a thing or how