2004 Jan 29 11:47

Re: [vox-tech] Fsck-ing a Hard Disk Problem

Re: [vox-tech] Fsck-ing a Hard Disk Problem

If there's any important data, I'd save 'em right away onto another hard
drive.  But if it's just an entertainment* system with no important data,
you could probably stretch the life of the harddrive a little more.

BTW, if one part of the hard drive fails, the other parts may, too, so
consider the importance of data on the other partitions as well.

-Mark

* - assuming entertainment is not that important... =)

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> A few days ago I started occassionly hearing a weird sound coming from my hard
> drive when I would launch Konqueror.  The sound came in sets of four "grinds"
> or "barks."  It was a grinding sound.  But it also sounded something like a
> dog barking four times in the distance.
>
> I just rebooted into Linux from Windows and got an error message that there
> were uncorrectable errors on my /home partition; /hda10.  The message said to
> fsck manually.
>
> When I fsck-ed manually the first time I got a bunch of messages that there
> were uncorrectable errors.  The messages stopped without a prompt.  "Crtl-D"
> would not reboot so I had to push the reset button.
>
> The second time I fsck-manually I got a bunch of messages that there were
> uncorrectable errors, but I got some "ignore" and "fix" prompts.  I responded
> "yes" to the prompts.  Fsck then told me that the partition had been
> modified.  It also listed a whole bunch of "bitmap" changes.  I don't know
> what a bitmap is.  Of course there were other messages that I can't remember
> and did not understand.
>
> Things seem to be okay right now.  I checked a few files and directories to
> see if they were still there.  But writing this message and playing XMMS are
> the first things I've really done.
>
> So, what does all of this mean?  If I continue to hear the grinding/barking
> sound does that mean that I need a new hard disk?  Of course I really don't
> know if that sound is connected to the problem.  But how serious is this
> problem?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob

Mark K. Kim