2004 Jan 29 17:06

[vox-tech] Keyboard lockup when reading /dev/psaux

[vox-tech] Keyboard lockup when reading /dev/psaux

I'm about to finally go to bed for a little while :^)
I noticed that when I got X installed on my new system, the machine would
lock up.  I eventually realized I could SSH in and kill X, and it came back
to life.

I thought at first it was X (the machine has a 3D Labs Permedia 2 card,
and I'm using an XF86-4 driver called 'glint'; it refused to work unless
I told Debian's X config to not use kernel framebuffer, IIRC).

I admit, though, I had no mouse connected to the system when I booted up.
I was using an old AT keyboard with a AT->PS2 adapter that does an
irritating 90-degree turn, so that I can't plug in a mouse at the same time.

Swapped out keyboard, plugged in mouse, tried X out again.. BLAM! lockup.
Decided to see what GPM thought of all of this.  Started GPM, wiggled
the mouse.. BLAM! lockup again!

What-thu!?  Tried cat'ing /dev/psaux... LOCKUP!  Brief Googling proves
I'm not crazy, and this has happened to others.  Some folks mentioned
pcmcia being involved.  Tried apt-get remove'ing pcmcia_cs, but the
cat still locked the machine up.  Will try rebooting.  I don't see any
modules lying around, though:

Module                  Size  Used by
serial                 19660   0  (autoclean)
vfat                    9428   0  (unused)
3c509                   6308   1
unix                   11352   4  (autoclean)

Anyone else ever seen this?

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com           "Hey Shatner, ya remember that episode of
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/   Space Trek where your show got cancelled?"