2004 Jan 28 18:43

Re: [vox-tech] Debian networking problem -- where do I start?

On Wed 28 Jan 04,  3:28 PM, Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> said:
> This is related to the Samba problem I reported yesterday.
>
> Pete suggested I look at /usr/share/doc/samba/DIAGNOSIS.txt.  I did so,
> and most of what I tried on the server worked just fine, and the Samba
> server seems to be working properly; I can execute smbmount on my Red
> Hat box and get to the shares just fine.
>
> I tried to get to the Windows computer from the Debian computer with no
> luck.  I executed
>
> $ ping 192.168.1.165
>
> which is the WinXP's IP address, but with no luck.  It seems that the
> Debian computer can't see the Windows computer; so while I can see the
> Debian computer from Windows, I can't see any of the shares on it.
>
> I've done quite a bit of Googling and poking around on the Debian
> website, and I've looked at files list /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.allow,
> executed commands such as /sbin/route -n and so on, and I confess that I
> am a feeling a bit overwhelmed.
>
> Can anyone point me at some on-line beginner's networking resources that
> could help me resolve this?

i've just recently got my first taste of windows network a couple of
months ago.  believe it or not, unix network is VERY MUCH simpler than
windows netowrking.  by orders of magnitude.

what makes this a bit difficult is the fact that XP may not log as well
as a unix OS.

doesn't XP come with a firewall now?  why don't you check that first?

ok.  so you can't ping XP from debian.

can you ping debian from XP?

can you ping XP from anyone else on your local LAN?

when you type "route" on debian (not "route -n", i mean "route") does it
   hang for a long time or do you get results immediately?

pete