January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jan 26 11:31

[vox-tech] how to capture error messages for getting help (was: 9600 pro + red hat 9 + gnome)

På måndag, 26 januari 2004, skrev Gunnar:
> I forced the rpm cause i was following a "How to" and they said i should
> force it if it didnt install on the first try.
>
> I took a look at those directories you said:
>
> in the /var/log i found some XFree86 logs (all of them seemed to be the same
> for me but with diferent names. and they did not have "error" on their file
> name)
> I dont know how  can i send them to you cause i use windows xp to send
> emails. (sorry i am still learning linux)

No problem. Here is how to save the messages:

1. When you run X (or any other program), do so like this:

	startx &> mylog

(or use any other suitable filename instead of mylog). This redirects the
output and error messages to the given filename.

2. Mount your windows partition in Linux:

	mount /dev/hda<n> /mnt -t vfat

(substitute the actual partition number for <n>, probably 1.)

3. Copy the file to the windows partition:

	cp mylog /mnt

4. Unmount the windows partition when done:

	/mnt

Once you have Linux set up properly you can use a graphical file manager to
do these things if you prefer that.

--
Henry House
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key: