January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jan 25 19:09

Re: [vox-tech] extracting more deb package info

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:44:46AM -0800, Charles McLaughlin wrote:
> I installed Debian via Morhpix (like Knoppix, but I choose a Gnome
> version).  Now my wireless card finally works... whooohooo!
>
> Anyway...  The install came with some "experimental" packages that made it
> hard for me to use apt-get.  I kept have dependency problems.  I've gotten
> rid of most of these expermental packages by downgrading to their
> equivalent in the testing distribution.
>
> I'd like to know if I have any more of these experimental packages left on
> my system...
>
> Is their a way to print out a list of all the packages I have
> installed with an indication of which distribution the package came from?
>
> I found dpkg -l, but that doesn't give me enough info.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Try out this perl script I created when I was running a mixed box to
see what I had that came from unstable and what came from testing.
(now I just use straight sid)

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

$started=0;
@policies=`dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall | cut -f 1 | xargs apt-cache policy`;
foreach $x ( @policies ) {
  if ($x =~ /^[a-z]/){ #matches lines with package names
    if ($started==1) { #print last package info
      print $instdist;
      print "\n";
    }
    chomp $x;  #first *chomp* off a newline
    chop $x;   #then *chop* off a colon
    print $x;
    print '/';
    $started=1;
    $instversion=0;
    $instdist="unknown";
  }
  if ($x =~ /[0-9]+\.[0-9]+/) {$instversion=0;} #match a version number
  if ($x =~ /\*\*\*/ ) {$instversion=1;} #match the current version's ***
  if ($instversion==1 && ($x =~ /http/ || $x =~ /ftp/)){ #match a url line
    if ( $x =~ / stable/ ) {$instdist="stable";}
    if ( $x =~ /testing/ && $instdist ne "stable")
       {$instdist="testing";}
    if ( $x =~ /unstable/ && $instdist ne "stable"
         && $instdist ne "testing")
       {$instdist="unstable";}
  }
}