2004 Jan 19 10:28

Re: [vox-tech] I'm setting up a DNS server...

Re: [vox-tech] I'm setting up a DNS server...

Quoting Jeff Newmiller (jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us):
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Rick Moen wrote:

> > I think you'll find that William was missing a field.
>
> I think you'll find that he was not. ;)

Ah, indeed, I needed my morning coffee!

William's line was:

    @ IN SOA @ root.localhost (

William's usage of that second "@" is a bit eccentric, and I must admit
that my eyes failed to parse it.  Yes, that's ye olde zonefile rendition
of "root@localhost".

Which (unless redirected to an out-of-band address through other means
such as a system aliases file) is an extremely poor idea, in my
experience.  My policy is to have all technical and administrative
contexts for a zonefile not depend on that zonefile being in service.
After all, people need to write to you saying "d00d, your nameservice is
b0rken."

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!