2004 Jan 19 01:38

wireless, Realtek 8180 (was Re: [vox-tech] Force-setting IRQ of aPCI device)

wireless, Realtek 8180 (was Re: [vox-tech] Force-setting IRQ of aPCI device)

PS: The Installfest went as usual (mostly working except certain
hardware,) except for one system that came in with a wireless NIC that
nobody could get to work.
This one was another of the new cardbus (32bit) wireless cards with the Realtek 8180 chipset. This chipset is showing up in numerous wireless cards of many brands, and is notorious for its sketchy Linux support (based on personal experience and much web searching). For now, there are 2 options that I know of: use the partially closed driver from Realtek (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?keyword=8180) which has worked for some people but not others, or use DriverLoader from Linuxant (http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/), which is also iffy, plus its not free.

There has recently been a thread on vox-tech about this chipset (http://lugod.org/mailinglists/archives/vox-tech/2004-01/msg00039.html), but I bring it up again to see if anyone has more knowledge or a success story. I'm sure it is just a matter of time before a better driver comes along, but for now this chipset is frustrating a lot of people!

Jonathan