2004 Jan 16 17:35

Re: [vox-tech] Bewbie Needs Compile Help

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:23:26AM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> I wanted to put an "N" in front of "ewbie", but there are too many people on
> this list that would know I was lying.
>
> I've been given these instructions:
>
> #./configure
> #make
> Log in as root on your machine
> #make install
>
> But when I type "make" I get the error message that make is an unknown
> command.  So what do I do?

If the first 'make' works as a regular user but the root user gets a
'command not found' then it would seem that for some reason the
directory containing make is not in roots $PATH.  make is most often
found in /usr/bin.

The long term solution for this would be to find out where make is
installed on the system (using 'locate' or 'find') and modify the root
users startup files to include the appropriate directory in the $PATH.
Exactly how to do that depends on the shell being used.

If /usr/bin is not your PATH, then you'll likely have to specify the
full path to your editor, i.e. '/usr/bin/vi' or whatever.