2004 Jan 13 13:47

Re: [vox-tech] upgrading Mandrake packages only

Re: [vox-tech] upgrading Mandrake packages only

--On Tuesday, January 13, 2004 12:44:00 -0500 "Aaron A. King" <king@tiem.utk.edu> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on a few computers.  Being security-minded, I
try to  keep up with software security updates conscientiously.  This
is fairly easy  using Mandrake's RPM-based update tools (urpmi and
gurmpi).

The problem is, Mandrake has already released 9.2 and will eventually
stop  updating the 9.1 mirrors.  In the past, when this has happened, I
have done a  clean install.  This is inevitably a very painful process.
It can take up to  a week of tinkering before I get all my machines
working again according to  my preferences.  Trying to upgrade from the
ISOs usually doesn't work well,  in my experience.

So I'm considering trying to update packages only.  It seems I can
fairly  easily tell urpmi to look at the 9.2 mirror instead of the 9.1.
Presumably,  I would then be able to upgrade all individual RPM
packages and keep up with  updates.
As it happens, I upgraded my home system from mandrake 9.0 to 9.2 this weekend. I just booted off the first CD and told it to upgrade my system. I didn't do a perfect job, so afterwards I spent a few hours manually removing old RPMs and installing additional packages, but it was pretty straightforward work.

I ran the command:

rpm -q -a --queryformat '%{NAME}\t%{INSTALLTIME:day}\n'

which lists every installed RPM along with its install date, then inspected everything that was "old". Some of them were packages I'd independently installed, others were leftovers that hadn't been upgraded properly. For example, my old system had automake 1.6 installed; the new OS supplies automake 1.7, but it's not marked as replacing 1.6 so rpm thought the two packages conflicted. Similarly, it installed the latest copy of apache 1.3.x (along with addons like mod_perl) instead of replacing it with apache 2.x and its addons.

--
"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons

Kenneth Herron Kherron@newsguy.com 916-366-7338