2004 Jan 12 22:53

Re: [vox-tech] Providing access to SSH on Kiosk?

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:41:59PM -0800, ME wrote:
> > Anyone with the lack of understanding of risk to use of a public station
> > to ssh to another box is dancing with the devil. (Condemnation of users
> > who would actually use ssh on untrusted machines.)
>
> Good point.  I'm working on a sheet that will be placed on the wall next
> to the computer.  I already make note that using the system mgiht not be
> safe, due to cookies, cache, wireless sniffing, etc.  I think I'll put
> a BIG disclaimer on the SSH pop-up, as well.

Good idea.

[...]

> > The user must still trust the installer
> > of the OS, and the packagers as well as coders. There is also risk for
> > keyboard wedges,
>
> Still interested in how to deal with this... :^)

Locked box with cables (especially the keyboard cable) routed through
holes not immediately adjacent to the plugs on the case.

This is a good idea in any case ... physical access to the cpu is a major
security risk.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing