January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jan 12 15:07

Re: [vox-tech] Providing access to SSH on Kiosk?

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 02:37:41PM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> You could SSH to localhost, couldn't you?

True, but unless the user knew the account name (e.g., "root" or "guest")
and the password (neither of which are blank or easy-to-guess, obviously),
then they couldn't get in that way.

I assume Debian doesn't have any other easy-to-get-into accounts living
on a standard system, right? (e.g., "gdm" user can't log in ;^) )

> Or, sometihn like this......
>
> user='foo'
> host='bar `xterm`'
> xterm -e ssh $user@$host
>
> Will pop up an xterm running ssh, and once you log in an xterm running bash
> :-)

That's a good one to be afraid of.  I'm sure there's some shell magic I can
do to get around this issue.  Probably some regexp some Unix guru came up
with back in the 70s? ;^)