January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jan 11 10:19

Re: [vox-tech] Hard drive access

At 04:52 AM 1/10/04 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 04:29:40AM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>>
>> Melissa's laptop (a Thinkpad T20 running Debian Woody) has this habit of
>> doing disk access quite often.  (It's mostly noticable when it's quiet in
>> the house, like right now, so I decided to investigate :^) )
>
>Hrm...  Apparently, it's probably just commits on the ext3 filesystem. :)
>
>Still digging, though, to try and be sure :)
>
>-bill!

Before my Vaio's (IBM) hard drive died, it was making grinding and clicking
noises, but before that it just seemed to be accessing more often than I
expected. I subsequently found out that the IBM laptop drives were commonly
associated with failures (at least that was what the data recovery company
said). I made two mistakes:

- I didn't keep recent backups

- I didn't ask Mike Simons for help soon enough (he helped a lot, but we
just couldn't get the drive data back)

- Larry