January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jan 09 12:03

Re: [vox-tech] Server Email-Calander Solution

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Daniel Hurt wrote:

> I have looked at a couple solutions:
>
> SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server 4.1
> http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/openexchange/prices.html
> I do not really have that kind of cash to make life easier, it is not
> that hard ;-)

Ouch!  I didn't know it was that much.  A buddy of mine bought this
product recently.  He works for an an ISP, and the put this product in for
users who wanted Exchange support.  Supposedly, their users are very happy
and don't know their not on _real_ Exchange.  That purchase would
definatley be overkill for 3 machines.

> Exchange 4 Linux
> http://www.exchange4linux.com/exchange4linux/Home
> The documentation that I found was not that great, but this might be the
> best solution that I have found.
>
> M$ Exchange Server
> I could also install exchange server on the windows machine and the
> exchange plugin for ximian, but I do  not feel that this is a great
> solution at all.

Is this cheaper than the Suse product?  How much does exchange cost?  I'd
be more afraid of setting the Exchange server up incorrectly/insecurely
than the Suse product!

> I was wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions or comments on
> this problem.  I am not completely tied down to the outlook/ximian
> combination, the main thing that I am after is calender and email
> synchronization.

This might solve your outlook problem, but I don't know what it offers you
as far as calendar support in Ximian: http://bynari.net/index.php?id=7