2004 Jan 04 11:29

Re: [vox-tech] configuring sendmail with dynamic ip dsl

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Kevin Hooke wrote:

> Hi - I have been trying to configure sendmail so I can
> run it on my local server at home, which is connected
> to the net via a DSL connection with a dynamic IP
> address.

[...]

> Heres what I added to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:
>
> define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.yourisp.net')dnl
>    MASQUERADE_AS(kevinhooke.com)dnl
>    FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl
>    FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
>
> replacing mail.yourisp.net with sbcglobal/yahoo's smtp
> server.

[...]

> Heres the headers:
>  linuxsvr.localdomain) (64.165.71.234) by
>  mta207.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 03 Jan 2004
>  13:32:42 -0800

Yahoo received this directly from you.  Not good.

(Note: header continuation lines are always indented.)

[...]

> I was expecting from what I read on the abuse.net site
> that relaying via my isp's smtp server would solve the
> dynamic ip blacklisting problems, but apparently it
> hasn't or I am misunderstanding something.

You have not actually relayed the email through your isp.

> Any ideas? I only know a little linux (enough to get
> me in trouble apparently), so please be explicit with
> any instructions! :-)

I think you need the MAIL_HUB macro to force all outgoing
connections to be made to your ISP's smtp server... something like

  define( 'MAIL_HUB', 'mail.yourisp.net' )dnl

which will tell your computer to never connect directly to the recipient's
mailserver, but always to your isp.

MASQUERADE_AS simply tells sendmail to rewrite your From: email address
as if you were on a different machine (the one which represents your
public email address).

> If anyone knows of any website/how-tos that may help,
> that would be appreciated too!

www.sendmail.org?

Disclaimer: sendmail is a black art... I am barely functional with it.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing