Re: [vox-tech] FTP Problems

Dave Margolis said:

> There is a chance (and this is a vague guess) that their FTP server is
> doing reverse DNS lookups and if you machine says
> "localhost.localdomain" or some other generic hostname, it will refuse
> the connection.

I asked our network administrator to simply set up the firewall to accept
my IP address.

Um.  How would I check to see how my machine is identifying itself?

Also, my network administrator here assures me that if the connection were
refused, it would just be timed out; I wouldn't be getting any error
messages.

> Can you SSH to some other machine (offsite from where you're at) and try
> to FTP from there?

I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm here at work, checking the FTP connection
at home by SSH'ing into my home machine and trying to FTP from there.  I
can FTP to the same server from work just fine.

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the
desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man.
I wouldn't mess with them."
--Michael Moore