Re: [vox-tech] FTP Problems

How are your PCs connected to the internet and how do they identify
themselves.

I've had problems in the past where my machines were misadvertising
themselves because of my made-up naming scheme.  I called my mailserver
mail.mydomain.net when no such alias existed.  That was easy to fix after
I figued out the problem, but it was very hard to identify the error
because bounced mail had a very weird and unhelpful error.  I finally
bounced a message off a buddy's smarter mailserver that gave me a good
error like "no such server exists by this name" as apposed to "connection
refused" or whatever.

There is a chance (and this is a vague guess) that their FTP server is
doing reverse DNS lookups and if you machine says "localhost.localdomain"
or some other generic hostname, it will refuse the connection.

Can you SSH to some other machine (offsite from where you're at) and try
to FTP from there?

Dave