January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] RTCW, sound problem

I've recently decided to give gaming a try in Linux. I managed to get Duke3D working, and it runs great. So next I try Return to Castle Wolfenstein (RTCW). I think I installed it all correctly (only a couple steps), but there is a problem with the sound.

It starts in multi-player mode, I think, with a menu screen. Here everything seems fine: sound, graphics, and I can change graphic options. I haven't tried to play multiplayer because I'm not yet interested.

The problem is when I choose single-player mode on the menu. When I first tried, I did not have ALSA installed. Single-player would work but without sound (couldn't find /dev/dsp). A google search indicated it might work with ALSA, so I installed ALSA and ALSA-OSS. ALSA seems to work fine with all my other applications, but now when I choose single-player, RTCW hangs with a blank screen and movable mouse cursor. When I go to another terminal and kill "wolfsp.x86", I get back my Xterm and see it died at "sound initialization". No other info is given.

I can't seem to find this particular problem mentioned on the web. Any ideas? Supposedly the linux implementation of RTCW is similar to Quake3.

Thanks,
Jonathan