[vox-tech] CSS question: hover above an <A> tag

[vox-tech] CSS question: hover above an <A> tag

hi all,

i have this in my style file to put a colored background and border
around <A> links when the mouse hovers above the link:

   a {
      font-weight: bold;
      color: rgb(62, 62, 183);
      background-color: transparent;
      text-decoration: none;
      padding: 2px;
   }

   a:hover {
      color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
      background-color: rgb(153, 153, 204);
      text-decoration: none;
      border-width: 2px;
      border-style: solid;
      border-color: #000000;
   }

and i like the effect a lot.  the problem is that when the mouse hovers
above the link, a little extra space is added around the link, and it
reformats the paragraph slightly.

here's an example:

   http://www.dirac.org/p/test.html

how do i avoid the extra space from reformatting the paragraph?

thanks!
pete