January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] UPS for a debian linux system

Re: [vox-tech] UPS for a debian linux system

on 03.12.12 3:13 PM, R. Douglas Barbieri at doug@dooglio.net was reported to
have writen:

> On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 12:03, dylan wrote:
>> Hi-
>>
>> I am in the market for a relatively low power UPS that can keep a small PC
>> server alive for a couple minutes should the power go out. Furthermore, it
>> would be ideal if this UPS would have a serial interface that could be used
>> to notify the linux box that it is running on battery power - and power down
>> the system should the power remain out for a long time.
>>
>> i have used an Back-UPS Pro with PowerChute Plus on a Red Hat 6 system long
>> ago - and it worked great...
>
> Woah. PowerChute runs under Linux? I have a Back-UPS 650 which a serial
> cable. I can't get apcupsd to recognize my UPS (when I bring up the
> daemon and hit the test switch, the unit kills power to the server).

....did you know that it requires a special cable... a simple serial cable
will not work....

...furthermore the cable is (possibly) platform specific...

I have the pinout for the unix cable if you are interested.

Dylan